The unfortunate importance of Google: A very quick example with three important numbers

by | Jun 23, 2021 | SEO

Through a completely random occurrence, Google completely un-indexed my home page last week. Because I monitor things regularly I was able to catch the issue and had my homepage back on the index in just over 24 hours.

This got me thinking about 2 things, first, everyone needs to monitor digital activity regularly or have someone that does it for you, but most importantly, Google has positioned themselves as one of the most important aspects of an online marketing campaign.

The importance of Google in 3 numbers:

68, 92, 64

What are these numbers? Let’s break it down…

68

This is the percentage of online experiences that begin with a search engine. So only 32% of all online activity is direct to source, even if a person knows a web address or brand, they are 3 times more likely to Google the brand than to go directly to the address.

92

Well, actually 92.05%. This is the market penetration of Google in the arena of organic search as of February 2021. This is a very lopsided statistic with only 4 major search engines making up the remaining 7.95%.

64

In our opinion, the most alarming statistic, 64% of Google searches don’t make it past a Google property. Or in other words, only 36% of Google searches actually make it to a website not owned by Google. This is also up from 50% in 2019.

Putting it all together

68% of all web activity starts at a search engine with 92% market share that only sends 36% of its traffic to external websites.

2 things:

1. SEO is important, but branded SEO is way more important.
2. Make sure you are optimizing for Google properties: GMB, rich snippets, schema, maps, citations, etc..

Recent posts

Share This