Here at Signature W Studio, our Charlotte-based SEO company has worked tirelessly in the space for more than a decade. We thought it would only be right to dedicate an entire post to helping local businesses craft the perfect Charlotte SEO campaign.
Since we know that digital campaigns are not one-size-fits-all, this strategy won’t yield the same results as one that’s perfectly tailored to your brand. However, this six-step guide to a perfect Charlotte SEO campaign is a great stepping stone for helping you rank higher on the search engine results pages (SERPs).
Your Charlotte SEO Campaign Guide
1. Designing Your Website
First things first — every business needs a website. After all, what good is an SEO strategy without a site to rank? When building your website, be sure that it has the following key components:
- The Right Pages: Your website needs to have a home page, a page for each service, an about page, a contact page, and a blog component (more on that to come).
- Content: The website should be optimized with great content and structure, including plenty of references to Charlotte when available. Be sure that each page answers basic questions the reader would have, including what the page is and why the reader should care.
- Speed: Site speed has become incredibly important for those hoping to increase their search rankings, particularly after Google’s Algorithm Speed Update. Make sure your website is capable of providing optimal speeds across desktop and mobile platforms.
- Optimizations: From your page titles and heading tags to your meta descriptions and alt tags, every element on your website should be optimized for the keywords and phrases for which you’re hoping to rank.
- Location: Make sure your Charlotte business’ address appears on the footer of each page. This will help search engines better match users to your goods and services who are nearest to your location.
2. Setting Up GMB
In addition to having a well-optimized website, you need to set up a Google My Business (GMB) Page. With Google’s Map Pack updates, your GMB will be critically important. As you work to optimize your page, go through all empty profile fields and be sure that they are filled out with the appropriate information. Add images to your profile as well, and develop a consistent posting strategy for your account. Posting on GMB is an excellent way to increase your Charlotte business’ visibility, and for brick-and-mortar locations in particular, may arguably be more important than even posting on Facebook.
Along with your posting strategy, be sure that your business has a plan in place to secure customer reviews. Invite past clients and customers to leave a review on your GMB Page in a follow-up email to them after a recent purchase or service experience. This shows Google that you are a trustworthy business, allowing you to rank higher for other Charlotte-area consumers interested in what you have to offer.
3. Adding Local Citations
GMB is one of many online directories that can help boost online visibility for your brand. Local citations — directory listings that verify you as a business — exist in many shapes and forms, such as Yelp, Thumbtack, or Angie’s List. When setting up a local citation, it’s important that the directory:
- Links back to your website
- Includes your business’ name, address, and contact information
- Is relevant and authoritative
Be sure to seek out directories that are specific to your industry or region, identify Charlotte specific directories that are local to your area. Many Charlotte business owners also use services like Yext or Vendasta to have their business’ information published automatically.
4. Getting Relevant Backlinks
One of the most difficult parts of building a strong SEO strategy in Charlotte is getting links from local publications. However, it’s important that you put in the effort to secure valuable backlinks as it will signal to Google that your site has more authority. The easiest way to achieve this is by enlisting the help of a PR firm as these professionals can help guide you through the steps necessary for getting published. Target publications such as Axios Charlotte, CLT Five, Charlotte Business Journal, and other local publications to maximize regional exposure for your brand.
5. Starting a Blog WIth Local Content
When creating your SEO strategy, it’s critical that you have an ongoing content plan. Starting a blog on your website is one of the best ways to make that happen. Plan on publishing a blog at least once per month. As you build your content plan, be sure to think about ways in which you can tie your industry topics into the surrounding area. For example, if you’re an HVAC technician in Charlotte, you might write a blog entitled, “How Charlotte Homeowners Can Prep Their AC Systems This Summer.”
6. Building Brand Awareness
Branded SEO refers to branded keywords or search terms that include the name of your company. In order to create an impactful branded SEO strategy, you first need to boost your brand’s awareness by leveraging other media to power your Charlotte SEO campaign. Organic social media, relevant backlinks, and blogging will all play a role in amplifying your brand so you become the first name people think about when they think about a good or service.
Boost Your Ranking in Charlotte
Charlotte is a huge metro area, and depending on your industry, the Queen City can also be incredibly competitive. It might take a while, but investing in a strong SEO strategy is what sets successful businesses apart from the rest. The best time to start boosting your SERP rankings in now: Connect with our SEO strategists to start creating the perfect campaign for your Charlotte business today!